Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Captain's Duty Book Review

I just finished the book  A Captain's Duty by Richard Phillips  and it was a book that I couldn't put down.

So many mornings I would wake up tired because I had been up too late the previous night reading.

Richard Phillips was the Captain of the Maersk Alabama cargo ship. While in the seas off the Somalia coastline his ship was attacked by four pirates who were looking for money. Eventually Captain Phillips ends up in the lifeboat with the pirates where he spends five days fighting for his life.

This story was all over the news when it was happening. I remember following along and praying for Captain Phillips to be rescued and unharmed.

I am absolutely fascinated with the life of Somali's and Pirates. I have read about four books about them before reading this book. I am not sure why but I just can't read or learn enough about it. I guess because their lives are just so extremely different than the life that I live in Texas.

Even though I highly recommend this book I want to let you know that there is a lot of controversy surround this story. I kept this in mind while reading the book but I still found it a fascinating read. I feel like I learned more about the pirates and they way that they work while looking for money that doesn't belong to them.


I am not sure what I am going to read next. I am reading through a couple samples on my Kindle right now and really like the The Wolf of Wall Street and am sure I won't be able to just stop once the sample is done.

What are you reading right now? Anything I should add to my reading list?


No comments:

Post a Comment